TCS Female Associates Attacked in Hyderabad | Woman Safety in Hyderabad – A Real Incident
In the light of the heinous incident that occurred in Hyderabad last week, I want to share a few words. Maybe not of wisdom, but ones that definitely helped me stay safe:
1. After 8 pm, prefer the road transport buses to the shared autos and cabs. They may delay you but they offer a margin of safety.
2. If you have to board an auto or cab, move to its front and note down the number of the vehicle so that the driver can see you are noting down his vehicle’s number. If you tell the driver you did so, even better! ( I have done this so many times that people thought I was paranoid. Still, I would say it is better to be paranoid than hurt or traumatized.)
3. Buy a pepper spray!!!! It gives you immense confidence to walk alone and it it a good self-defense mechanism. It is pretty powerful, trust me, It was sprayed before me and the suspended particles were enough to make my nose burn and cough a lot!! (In Hyderabad, they are available in Health n Glow outlets and also you can order them online from healthkart.com)
4. Install any of those women safety apps that they advertise about. It wouldn’t hurt to download them.
5. If a man is leching at you or trying to misbehave, start screaming at him. He deserves it! It will at least stop the man from troubling you any further.
6. Other useful tips to remember I have read but not from my personal experience -
a. Use your TCS ID card to wring the neck of your assailant if he happens to be the driver.
b. Dial 100 and start screaming.
c. Remember you can hurt your assailant and I am sorry if I am crossing a line of propriety – Target his sensitive areas with your knees and your elbow is pretty powerful to hit a man.
7. We should not be carefree by chatting on mobile, playing games, talking over phone / sleeping. Pay an attention till we get down from the cab / taxi.
8. Try to stick to the same route that you travel every day.
9. Better to inform family when you onboard, and expected arrival.
10. Update your family if there is a significant delay because of traffic / road conditions. Need transparency among our family, where we are going, what we are doing, when will come back.
I just wanted to share these pointers and hope it helps!